8 reasons to outsource your social media
As someone who owns a social media marketing agency, I’m supposed to say you should always outsource social media. The problem is I don’t always agree. There are many reasons why you should manage your own social media. For instance, nobody knows your business better than you. We’ve got 8 signs that point to YES when asking yourself if you should outsource your social media platforms to someone else, as well as the warning signs of DIY social media.
But if you’re not 1000% committed, you’re probably wasting a lot of time and money on your efforts.
When it comes to spotting the warning signs for sub-standard social media management, I often hear things like:
- “How hard can it be?”
- “We’re going to use social media to increase sales!”
- “We can do it ourselves, once we’ve finished work.”
Nothing raises my eyebrows faster than the three statements above. Why? Because many companies enter the social media world making three key mistakes:
1. “We will post when we have time.”
Translation: This means they will likely post almost never. Or they’ll start strong for circa 4 weeks and then that social page will be a ghost town. This happens all the time.
2. “We will post what we want to sell (and get so many sales)!”
Translation: Our audience will never be interested in what we have to say/post.
3. “We’ll let so-and-so have two or three hours a week to dedicate to our social.”
Translation: We aren’t taking social media seriously but will be SO CONFUSED when we don’t get serious results. (Lack of genuine commitment)
Does this sound like you? If so, then continue reading…..
Why DIY Isn’t Always The Best Option
Unfortunately, the world of DIY social media is not what it is cracked up to be…
1) Social media is more than just branding, it’s storytelling.
What you say on social media will have mere milliseconds to capture the attention of your audience. A logo and a pretty coupon for 20% off just won’t cut it. The question all DIY-ers need to ask themselves is “What kind of content makes me stop scrolling down my news feed?”
2) Social media is not *always* about sales.
It’s about communication and relationship building, which if done correctly can lead to sales. Without two-way conversation and action, you will have an uphill battle on your hands with social. No one gets excited about social media posts that always seem self-centred. Ask questions, run polls, instigate a discussion. Engagement is crucial.
3) Social media involves real-time marketing and response.
A whopping 89% of SM requests go unanswered by businesses — which often leads to those consumers heading straight into your competitor’s arms. That means you can’t take a break from social media because you had a tough week or because it’s peak trading, or even on weekends.
4) True strategy takes a keen, passionate and experienced social media manager.
If you think your apprentice can handle all of the above, plus work weekends and holidays … FANTASTIC! Go get ’em!
If not …
8 Reasons To Outsource Social Media
Whether you’re a Fortune 500 company or a start-up, you must have the coordination and command of the following:
1. Strategy + business goals + key performance indicators (KPIs) = success. If you’re spending time on social media, you better know how it’s improving your business. If you don’t, outsource. You need consistent brand messaging, no matter the platform.
2. Who are you targeting? What, SPECIFICALLY, do you want them to do? If you can’t answer SPECIFICALLY, outsource social media and let the professionals nail that down for you.
3. What will you post? How often? When will you post? Remember, you can’t just talk about yourself! A content strategy is critical to continued success; social media professionals are priceless when creating bespoke content; tailored to your business and designed specifically to capture the imagination of your target market.
4. Collecting, recording, and storing data. Agencies often have access to state-of-the-art marketing tools and can provide you with analytics on posts that work well, follower trackers and even click through rates.
5. TIME. Many agencies and consultants have you covered during evening hours, weekends and holidays (we do!) Simply stated: Time is money and social media takes time!
6. Testing is critical. If you don’t have the time or know how to do this, you need to outsource social media marketing to someone who does.
7. Knowledge. While your employee may know a particular platform inside and out, do they know about Instagram, LinkedIn, or the latest Facebook algorithm change which is currently affecting your brand and organic reach? By outsourcing your social media to The Social Maze, we will have all of this covered.
8. Advertising goes hand-in-hand with many social sites now. Without it, you’re wasting a lot of time and money (especially on Facebook). If you don’t have any advertising know-how, consider outsourcing.
Why our clients LOVE to outsource social media
I can’t speak for every consultant or agency, but here are just a few reasons why our clients love outsourcing their social media to us. (Take a look at our testimonials here)
• You get a serious return on investment. When our clients sign up with The Social Maze, they automatically have access to top-of-the-line social media & marketing software and the combined experience of each of our team members.
• We have a macbook full of custom content just for our clients. You can still have an input; we are flexible and want you to learn and grow with us.
• Our clients have experienced significant social media growth, which in turn has boosted sales and increased revenue. One of our clients has grown from 1,700 LIKE to 6,000 LIKES.
Speaking of return on investment, many companies are cautious of the cost of outsourcing.
Again, I can only speak for The Social Maze, but with our pricing, social media management for the year costs less than one employee. And remember, you get experienced marketers working on your campaigns and they’re operating for you 365 days a year, holidays included. We have basic packages from just £25 per week, check them out for yourself.
To see if outsourcing is right for you or your company, you should check out reputable companies. Ask for examples and don’t be afraid to ask for references!
We offer a free consultation if you think we may be the right fit for your social media needs, simply send us an email by filling out our contact form. We NEVER say no to a coffee; you never know where it might lead to.
Best of luck with your strategy, outsourced or not, be sure to stay in touch with our blog and check out our previous posts: Social Media Tips for Businesses and Entrepreneurs and Social Media for business – When should you post?
Thank you – The Social Maze 21/03/2018